The rooms of Palazzo Besso
Today's Sala del Consiglio, located in front of the church of the Santissime Stimmate, also known as the Red Room, from the color of the fabrics on the walls of the early twentieth century, and even earlier, at the time of Cardinal Paravicini, as the Galleria Nuova, is famous not only for the monumental wooden coffered ceiling painted with floral motifs and with the seventeenth-century Strozzi-Majorca coat of arms in the center, but above all for the frescoes by Tarquinio Ligustri, which came to light in 1985 during the restoration work , under the damaged tempera frieze by Giacinto Calandrucci, of the baroque frieze, photographed before its removal, only two heads of cherubs and part of a shell decoration remain in memory.
Today, therefore, the frescoes by Ligustri can be admired along the four walls of the Council Room: architectural frames with balustrades and telamons alternating with paintings in which landscapes with scenes of monks are inserted, niches with the symbols of cardinal and theological virtues and finally, animals and birds, dry painted, on boxes or fluttering in the skies.
Above the splendid fireplace in the center of the room, the ancient marble bust on the base of a noble Roman woman of the 2nd century AD . The bust, found in the excavations conducted in Piazza Venezia in 1902 for the construction of the Vittoriano, was donated by the Assicurazioni Generali to Marco Besso for the attainment of the office of president.